Thursday, September 20, 2012

Week 1


My Dearest Mother,
Can you believe I have already been gone for a week now!! I can't believe that I am a missionary!! Words can't express the Joy that I feel of being a missionary!!  This is the hardest thing that I have ever done, but I have never been so happy.  People say all the time how different you feel when you are a missionary, and I never believed them until I got set apart.  It is like a have a whole different meaning in life.  I feel of such a stronger power.  A power of God's love for not just me, but for the people in my mission.  There is nothing better then looking down on my shirt to see Sister Whittaker.  To know that I am a disciple of my Savior Jesus Christ.  To know that I can make a difference in peoples lives.  That I can bring them this amazing gospel.  This Gospel that brings us true Joy and Happiness.  I have never been so blessed.  I have never been so happy!! I know that it is because Heavenly Father is aware of me.  That he knows each of us personally, and he knew that I needed to serve a mission. 
My Companions name is Sister Farnsworth.  She is tall, has red hair, crazy as I am, and is my best friend.  We are already known as the crazy Sisters.  Which I love.  I know that Heavenly Father truly has a plan for me, and that he put us together for a reason.  I learn from her each and every day.  She has a spirit about her that is indescribable.  The moment she opens her mouth to speak the spirit is instantly there.  I love her, and am grateful for her.  I also have a great district full of lovely 19 year old boys.  They are each great!!  A lot of the companionship's have been struggling lately and so Sister F and I have been working with them.  It is amazing to watch them learn and grown each and every day!! 
At the MTC you get to teach investigators.  Two of our Investigators are our teachers.  At first I was like well this is cool, but they are already members.  After my first lesson I realized that we aren't just teaching lessons we are teaching people.  The other day we taught Matt about the Book of Mormon.  I was so nervous and stressed.  I wanted him to realize how important the Book of Mormon was to me, and the blessings that it could bring to his life.  I studied and planned, and prepared to teach this lesson.  As I taught that lesson I wasn't the one teaching.  I was teaching through the spirit.  I have never felt so close to the spirit before.  The things which I had planned weren't the things that Matt needed to hear.  I know that I was able to teach him what he needed to hear, because I was worthy of the spirit.  The spirit here at the MTC is amazing.  I get to feel of it 24/7.  It can be a little overwhelming at times, but there is nothing better.  As I look back to the first day I got here I am in awe because of how much a have changed.  How much I have grown, and how much my testimony has been strengthened   This gospel is true there is no doubt about it. 
On Sunday we got the privilege of hearing from Sheri Dew.  I was so excited!! She is such a powerful speaker.  She taught us about who we are, and our role as women.  It was so amazing and something that I will never forget.  That night we also had a fireside with Tracy Watson.  He talked about the Book of Mormon and how it needs to be our best friends.  Friends and Family there is no greater book then the Book of Mormon.  Read it every day, but don't just read it FEAST upon it.  This week as I have FEASTED upon in every day I have realized the blessing that have come from it.  I have seen the Lord's hand in my life each and every day, and I know it is because of this book.  This book is the center of our gospel.  It is what holds us together.  So that is my challenge for all of you this week. 
Of course I have to have a little fun while I am here.  I mean I am still Jordyn right?  Sister Farnsworth and I have this amazing toothbrush dance that we do each night.  It is the funnest thing!! We end up spitting everywhere because we are laughing so hard.  Since I have been here I have fallen down the stairs and grabbed sister F boob (It's a good thing we are close).  Last night we were getting ready to teach a lesson and Sister F and I were laughing so hard for some reason and we couldn't stop.  We were trying to pray, and it just wasn't working out for us all.  Well I totally farted, and we both literally almost peed our pants.  It was so dang funny!! I can't believe I just told you all that, but hey you all need to laugh.  Don't worry though we pulled it together and were able to teach a great lesson.  My roommates call me crazy everyday.  I for some reason like to sing everything, they have met STELLA, and they hear my british all the time. 
I love being a missionary.  This is where I am supposed to be.  There is no doubt about it.  I learn each and everyday.  I am blessed each and everyday, and most importantly I am HAPPY!!  I am so grateful for this opportunity I have to be a servant to the Lord for 18 months.  It will be the hardest time in my life, but the most rewarding.  I will give it my all and be the best Sister Whittaker there ever was!!!
Love,
Sister Whitt

No comments:

Post a Comment