Saturday, December 4, 2010

Food Bank

Last Monday my dads side of the family went to the Food bank in Provo. It was such a humbling experience. It made me realize all of the many things that we take for granite, and food being one of those things. I didn't realize how many people are struggling to make ends meet just in Provo. I can't imagine getting to a point in my life where I couldn't even provide food for my family. I am so grateful to my parents for always providing for our family. We are so fortunate.
They took us on a tour of the Food Bank. The man said that they feed around 120 families a day. Not just 120 people, but 120 families. He also said that families can only come back every two weeks. I will let you do the math, but to me that is so many people who are going hungry. Most of the food there is canned food. If you look behind the family you will see yellow bins which are all full of canned food. They had several isles of them. I am so grateful to the thousands of people who have donated food. I need to be better.
We were in charge of making snack bags. So we decorated brown paper sacks and filled them with treats, and granola bars. It was such a blast to be together as a family, and to know that what we were doing would benefit someone else. They had a giant scale there so we decided to all jump on it and see how much we weighed. We weighed 2,009lbs. It was pretty funny....
I am so grateful that we had the opportunity to do something for someone else. I love the holiday season and for the many opportunities we have to serve those around us. To forget about ourselves and think of somebody else. To put yourself in there shoes and realize that life isn't so bad. I know I am so much happier when I am doing something for someone else.
"Service changes people. It refines, purifies, gives a finer perspective, and brings out the best in each one of us. It gets us looking outward instead of inward. Righteous service is the expression of true charity, such as the Savior showed."

No comments:

Post a Comment