Saturday, October 2, 2010

St. George Marathon

This Conference weekend we came down to St. George to watch our OLD MAN run his 7TH MARATHON. For any of you who don't know a Marathon is 26.2 miles. He amazes me everyday. He is in better shape then I am and I am 21. This Marathon was a different experience from the others. As I sit here and think about today it has taught me a great life lesson. My dad has two injuries. He has a hurt ankle, and a pulled groin. We were all so worried about him running this year because he wasn't in the best condition, but he has worked so hard, and my dad is NOT a quitter. He had a goal in mind and he was going to acheive that goal if it killed him. My dad came in at Four hours and Fourty Six minutes. He was planning on crossing at three hours and thirty minutes. As three hours and thirty minutes rolled around and my dad was not there the worries began. All I could do was ask my Heavenly Father to be with my dad. To help him have the stregnth that he needed to make it to the end. It got me thinking about how in life sometimes we don't start out 100%. Like in the race my dad wasn't 100% healthy, but if we have Faith in our Heavenly Father, and do the very best that we can then Heavenly Father will pick up the rest and that is exactly what he did for my dad. My dad didn't get the results that he wanted, but he did his best. He didn't just show up this morning not ready to run. He spent countless hours training for this marathon. He said that he felt great up until mile twenty when all of sudden the cramping began. He literally almost fell to the ground, but some man grabbed him just in time. There are so many people in our life ready to grab us when we fall, most importantly our Savior. We can't get through life alone. We have so many tools out there to help us. My dad was not alone today. I know for a fact that his dad was running right beside him pushing him to that finish line. That our Heavenly Father was with him as well.
Sometimes we don't get the results that we want, but we have to realize that it is what our Heavenly Father wants. He sees the big picture, and knows what we need. I am so proud of my dad for making it to the finish. For not giving up! He said it was one of the hardest things he has ever done, and also one of the most painful. It reminded me of life and how nothing comes easy, but we just have to keep on pluggin along, and that is exactly what he did today. He inspires me everyday to dream big and to accomplish my dreams. I know that I can accomplish anything if I set my mind to it. Just like my dad did today. I couldn't be more proud of him!!

My dad, me, J, and my mom

Me and J waiting for our dad!!

Dad I love you and am so proud of you!!

1 comment:

  1. You're amazing boom! Hope you all had fun down in sunny st. george! :)

    ReplyDelete